Westoutre British Cemetery was begun by British troops in October 1917, and used until the following April, and again in August-October, 1918; and French units used it in April-August, 1918. The 72 French graves were removed after the Armistice, and 50 British graves were brought into the cemetery from the battlefields of the Ypres salient, and from Bixschote German Cemetery and Kemmel French Cemetery.
There are now over 150, 1914-18 and a small number of 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 50 from the 1914-18 War are unidentified and special memorials were erected to 5 soldiers from the United Kingdom known or believed to be buried among them. The British Cemetery covers an area of 1,349 square metres and is enclosed by a brick wall.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 167 (+ 4 WW II)
- Canada: 5
- New Zealand: 3
- Total Commonwealth: 175 (+ 4 WW II)
- Other Nationalities: 1