On this cemetery, there are 628 graves, of which more than half are unknown. Many of these soldiers died in the battle on 19 October 1914 during the Belgian withdrawal towards the river IJzer. The brigde was blown up on 19 October 1914. However, the Germans succeeded to reach the other side of the river during the nigth of 21 to 22 October.
The cemetery was constructed after the Great War.