The New Military Cemetery was begun in February 1915 and was used until May 1917 by fighting units and field ambulances, with a few further burials taking place in March and April 1918. The Extension was used from May 1917 to January 1918. The New Military Cemetery contains 624 First World War burials, the Extension 547. The site was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 529
- Canada: 84
- Australia: 11
- Total Commonwealth: 624