Dranoutre was occupied by the 1st Cavalry Division on the 14th October, 1914. It was captured by the Germans on the 25th April, 1918, in spite of the stubborn resistance of the 154th French Division, and it was recaptured by the 30th Division on the 30th August, 1918. In 1923 it became necessary to move 19 graves (Plots IV, V and part of III) to Dranoutre Military Cemetery from Dranoutre Churchyard to allow of the rebuilding of the church. Dranoutre Military Cemetery was begun in July, 1915, and was used by fighting units and field ambulances until March, 1918.
Plot III was added in September and October, 1918; and Plot II, Row K, contains the 19 graves brought from the Churchyard. A large proportion of the burials were carried out by the 72nd Brigade (24th Division) in April-June, 1916. There are now over 450, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified. The Cemetery covers an area of 3,808 square metres and is enclosed by a low wall.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 421
- Canada: 19
- Australia: 17
- New Zealand: 1
- Total Commonwealth: 458
- Other Nationalities: 1