Solferino Farm was given its name by French troops who held this part of the line early in 1915. The cemetery, which is opposite the site of the farm, was begun by Commonwealth forces in October 1917 and was used by the units fighting in this sector until August 1918.
The cemetery now contains 296 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and a small plot of three German war graves from this period. There are also five burials from the Second World War, dating from the Allied retreat to Dunkirk in May 1940. The cemetery was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 293 (+ 5 WW II)
- Canada: 2
- Other Commonwealth: 1
- Total Commonwealth: 296 (+ 5 WW II)
- Other Nationalities: 3