On the 30th October 1914, the village was held by the 1st and 2nd Life Guards, numbering between 300 and 400 men. It was bombarded for over an hour with heavy guns, and then taken by the 39th German Division and three attached battalions. The whole front of the 3rd Cavalry Division was driven back to the Klein-Zillebeke ridge. It was not possible to retake the village, which remained in German hands until the 28th September 1918. The Household Brigade Memorial, unveiled by Lord Haig in May 1924, stands on the South side of the village at the place where part of the Brigade was annihilated in 1914.
ZANTVOORDE CHURCHYARD contains, at the West corner of the North transept of the rebuilt Church, the graves of four soldiers of the 10th Hussars who fell on the 26th October 1914.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):