The British front ran a little East of Wulverghem from the Autumn of 1914 to the Summer of 1917, when Messines was captured; and Kandahar Farm Cemetery was used by the Divisions holding that sector from November 1914 until April 1918. Then, in the Battles of the Lys, the Germans captured Wulverghem and Neuve-Eglise, and it was not until the beginning of September that the two villages and this Cemetery were recovered. It was used again in September and October.
There are now nearly 450, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. One Australian soldiers is commemorated by a special headstone, as his grave cannot now be found. The 18th (Queen Mary's Own) Hussars erected a memorial in the Cemetery to seven of their N.C.O.'s and men who fell on the 1st November 1914 in the fighting about Messines. The cemetery covers an area of 2,809 square metres and is enclosed by stone walls or curbs.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 218
- Canada: 6
- Australia: 186
- New Zealand: 33
- Total Commonwealth: 443
- Other Nationalities: 3