Nieuwkerke (also known as Neuve-Eglise) was in German hands from the 14th April, 1918, after a stubborn defence by the 49th (West Riding) and 33rd Division, until it was recaptured by the 36th (Ulster) Division on the following 2nd September. The Church, destroyed in the War has been rebuilt. The Churchyard was used by the Field Ambulances or fighting units at intervals during the war, particularly (in early days) by the Cavalry and the 5th Division.
There are now nearly 100, 1914-18 and over 10, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 76 (+ 11 WW II)
- Canada: 1
- Australia: 10
- New Zealand: 5
- Undivided India: 1
- Total Commonwealth: 93 (+ 11 WW II)
- Other Nationalities: (4 WW II)