Cheddar Villa was the name given by the Army to a farm on the West side of the road from Wieltje to St. Julien. On the 25th and 26th April, 1915, during the Battle of St. Julien, severe fighting took place in this neighbourhood; and the British dead were buried on the spot. The cemetery thus created was called Cheddar Villa Cemetery; its name was changed in 1922 at the request of the Officer Commanding the 2nd Seaforth Highlanders.
There are now nearly 150, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, 21 are unidentified and 19, destroyed by shell fire, are represented by special memorials. Row A, grave 8, and row B, grave 1, are big graves, and the headstones connected with them are placed against the cemetery walls. The names of 23 officers and men of the 2nd Seaforths who fell here, but are not known to be buried in the cemetery, are recorded on a tablet. The cemetery covers an area of 1,008 square metres and is enclosed by a red brick wall.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 147
- Canada: 1
- Total Commonwealth: 148