Wulverghem was the scene of a German gas attack on the night of the 29th-30th April, 1916, which was repulsed by the 3rd and 24th Divisions. It was captured by the enemy on the 14th April, 1918, and re-occupied by the 30th Division on the following 2nd September. "Pond Farm" was in the fields about 800 metres East of Packhorse Farm, and on the North-West side of Pond Farm is the Cemetery. It was begun by the 3rd Rifle Brigade and the 8th Buffs in July, 1916, and it was used by fighting units and field ambulances until October, 1917. It was reopened in April and September, 1918.
The order of burials is difficult to follow; each row contains two groups of graves, or in some cases three. There are now nearly 300, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified and three special memorials are erected to men of the 1st/7th Cheshire, buried here early in September, 1918, whose graves cannot be found. The cemetery covers an area of 2,123 square metres and is enclosed by a rubble wall.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 296
- Other Nationalities: 5