Voormezeele Enclosure N°.3
  • De toegang tot deze grotere begraafplaats.
  • Het plan toont duidelijk het verschil tussen de eerste bijzettingen (onderaan) en de latere bijzettingen (boven).
  • Foto genomen achteraan de begraafplaats.
  • De war stone ligt ongeveer in het midden op deze begraafplaats.
  • Op de voorgrond een deel van de eerste bijzettingen.
  • 6 special memorials "Known to be buried in this cemetery" and 9 special memorials "Believed to be buried in this cemetery"
  • One row killed on 17 juli 1915
Practical info
Voormezeele Enclosure No. 3 is located 4 kilometres south-west of Ieper town centre on the Ruusschaartstraat, a road leading from the Kemmelseweg (Connecting Ieper to Kemmel N331). From Ieper town centre the Kemmelseweg is reached via the Rijselsestraat, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and straight on towards Armentieres (N365). 900 metres after the crossroads is the right hand turning onto the Kemmelseweg (made prominent by a railway level crossing). Turn right onto the Kemmelseweg and follow this road to the first crossroads, turn left here into Ruusschaartstraat. The Cemetery is located 1 kilometre after this junction on the left hand side of the road just before Voormezeele Dorp.
Voormezele, Ieper
Ground - aerial
GPS-Reference R5656 - Voormezeele Enclosure Nー.3
DMSX N 50°49'08.0'' - E002°52'24.8''
DMX N 50°49.133' - E002°52.413'
D N 50.818883° - E002.873549°
UTM 31U E 491092 N 5629691
GOOGLE EARTH 50 49.133 N, 002 52.413 E
• Mapquest
The "Enclosures (at one time four in number, but now reduced to three) are immediately North-West of the village. They were originally regimental groups of graves, begun very early in the War and gradually increased until the village and the cemeteries were captured by the enemy (after very heavy fighting) on the 29th April, 1918. Voormezeele Enclosure No. 3, the largest of these burial grounds, was begun by the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry in February, 1915. Their graves are in Plot III, the other Plots from I to IX are the work of other units, or pairs of units, and include a few graves of October, 1918. Plots X and XII are of a more general character. Plots XIII to XVI, were made after the Armistice by the concentration of isolated graves and smaller cemeteries, and at the same time the French graves (of April and September, 1918) were removed to a French cemetery. The concentrated graves cover the months from January, 1915 to October, 1918, and they include those of many men of the 15th Hants and other units who recaptured this ground early in September, 1918.

There are now over 1,500, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 600 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to twelve soldiers from the United Kingdom and three from Australia, known or believed to be buried among them. Five other special memorials record the names of soldiers from the United Kingdom, buried in Pheasant Wood Cemetery, whose graves could not be found on concentration. The Enclosure covers an area of 5,745 square metres and is enclosed by a brick wall.

Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
  • United Kingdom: 1497
  • Canada: 100
  • Australia: 11
  • New Zealand: 2
  • South Africa: 1
  • Entirely Unidentified: 1
  • Total Commonwealth: 1612
  • Other Nationalities: 1
Related links