Wytschaete was in French or British hands until the 1st November, 1914, from June, 1917, to April, 1918, and from the 28th September, 1918, onwards. It was the scene of exceptionally severe fighting in November, 1914, and April, 1918. "R.E. Farm" was the name given to the Ferme des douze Bonniers, on the West side of the road about one-third of the way from Wulverghem to Wytschaete. This building remained in Allied hands until April, 1918.
In December, 1914, the 1st Dorsets began a cemetery (No. 1) on the East side of it, which was used by fighting units and Field Ambulances until April, 1916, and occasionally in 1917. In January, 1915, the same battalion began another cemetery (No. 2) on the West side of the farm, which was little used; it contained, in all, the graves of 23 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Canada. After the Armistice, No. 2 Cemetery was moved, with one isolated grave, into No. 1, which became R.E. Farm Cemetery. There are now over 150, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 10 are unidentified. The cemetery covers an area of 1,359 square metres and enclosed by a brick wall.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 132
- Canada: 47
- Total Commonwealth: 179