During the 1914-18 War, "Buffs Road" was the name given by the British Army to a small lane just to the north of the hamlet of Wieltje. The cemetery was made and used by fighting units (in particular by the 12th, 13th and 14th Royal Sussex and the Royal Artillery) in July, 1917-March, 1918; and after the Armistice graves were brought into it (Row EE and part of Row B) from the battlefields. The grave of one Belgian soldier has been removed.
There are now nearly 300, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 80 are unidentifed and ten graves destroyed by shell fire are represented by special memorials. The Cemetery covers an area of 1,269 square metres and is enclosed by a low red brick wall. The body of one British officer, who fell in 1915, was brought to this cemetery from Brielen Churchyard.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 265
- Canada: 10
- Australia: 13
- South Africa: 1
- Total Commonwealth: 289