Langemark has given its name to the Battles of the 21st-24th October, 1914, and the 16th-18th August, 1917. It was in German hands from April, 1915, to August, 1917, and from April to September, 1918. British, French and Belgian forces have in turn defended and attacked it. "Cement House" was the name given by the Army to a fortified farm building on the Langemark-Boezinge road, a little way beyond the stream called the Hannebeek. The original Cement House Cemetery (now Plot I) was begun here at the end of August, 1917, and used by the 4th and 17th Division Burial Officers, by Field Ambulances and by units in the line, until April, 1918. Plots II - XIX were added after the Armistice by the concentration of graves from the battlefields and small graveyards around Langemark and Poelkapelle.
The more important graveyards or groups of graves concentrated into this cemetery were the following:
- ASQUILLIES CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of eleven British soldiers of November 1918.
- AUDREGNIES CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of eight British soldiers of August 1914 and one of November 1918.
- ELVERDINGHE CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of nine British soldiers of October 1914.
- HENSIES CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of one Canadian and three British soldiers of November 1918 and one British soldier of August 1914.
- HEULE CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of six British soldiers and one unidentified airman buried in October 1918.
- MAISIERES COMMUNAL CEMETERY, which contained the graves of sixteen British soldiers of August 1914.
- MEERENDRE CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of four R.A.F. officers buried in October 1918.
- OOSTNIEUWERKE CHURCHYARD, which contined the graves of five Canadian and five British soldiers of April 1915 and one British officer of October 1914.
- PROVEN CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of one Canadian officer and three British soldiers.
- QUAREGNON COMMUNAL CEMETERY, which contained the graves of eight British soldiers buried in 1914.
- ROLLEGHEM CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of one R.A.F. officer and four British soldiers buried in 1918.
- THULIN NEW COMMUNAL CEMETERY, which contained the graves of eight British soldiers of August 1914 and two R.A.F. officers of October 1918.
- WINKEL ST. ELOI CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of thirty British and four Newfoundland soldiers buried in October 1918.
Plots XVI, XVII and XVIII contained 487 graves of French soldiers, removed to another cemetery in 1922. The great majority of these scattered graves, both British and French, were those of officers and men who fell in the autumn of 1917.
There are now 3,553 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-18 war here, 2,385 of whom are unidentified. There are a further 22 Commonwealth burials of the 1939-45 war, 5 of whom are unidentified, in this site. There is also 1 unidentified French burial here. Special memorials are erected to five soldiers from the United Kingdom and three from Newfoundland, believed to be buried in the cemetery, and 3 special memorials record the names of men of the 15th Sherwood Foresters, buried in Pheasant Trench Cemetery, whose graves could not be found on concentration. Pheasant Trench Cemetery, Langemark, was in the fields a little East of Langemark village. Pheasant Trench and Pheasant Farm were taken by the 51st (Highland) Division on the 20th September, 1917, but the cemetery was begun two months later. It contained the graves of fourteen soldiers from the United Kingdom. On the North side of the road between Langemark and Boezinge, before the Hannebeek is reached, is the Memorial of the 20th (Light) Division, who captured Langemark on the 16th August, 1917. It is a square column with a bronze tablet. Near the road from Langemark to St. Janshoek, shortly after it turns West from the road to Houthulst, is the 34th Division Memorial in the Broenbeek Valley. The 1939-1945 graves were transferred to Cement House Cemetery from 6 sites; 3 came from Kanne Churchyard, 1 from Geluwe Communal Cemetery, 3 from Waregem Communal Cemetery, 5 from Heist-aan-Zee Communal Cemetery, 4 from Winksele Churchyard and 1 from Rijkevorst Churchyard. Cement House Cemetery covers an area of 11,607 square yards.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 3465 (+ 20 WWII)
- Canada: 58 (+ 1 WWII)
- Australia: 19 (+1 WWII)
- New Zealand: 10
- South Africa: 1
- Other Commonwealth: 1
- Total Commonwealth 3553 (+ 22 WWII)
- Other Nationalities (French unknown soldier): 1