Kemmel Chateau was north-east of Kemmel village and the cemetery was established on the north side of the chateau grounds in December 1914. It continued to be used by divisions fighting on the southern sectors of the Belgian front until March 1918, when after fierce fighting involving both Commonwealth and French forces, the village and cemetery fell into German hands in late April. The cemetery was retaken later in the year, but in the interval it was badly shelled and the old chateau destroyed.
There are now 1,135 Commonwealth burials of the First World War in the cemetery and 21 from the Second World War. The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 1029 (+ 21 WW II)
- Canada: 80
- Australia: 24
- New Zealand: 1
- Other Commonwealth: 1
- Total Commonwealth: 1135 (+ 21 WW II)
- Other Nationalities: (1 WW II)