"La Laiterie" was a dairyfarm on the North-West side of the road to Ypres from Kemmel. The cemetery was begun in November, 1914, and used until October, 1918, by units holding this sector of the front. The different plots were, to a great extent, treated as regimental burial grounds; the majority of the graves in Plots II, III and X, for instance, were those of the 26th, 25th and 24th Canadian Infantry Battalions, respectively, and all but one of the graves in Plot VIII are those of the 5th Northumberland Fusiliers.
On the 25th April, 1918, the cemetery passed into enemy hands, but at the beginning of September it was retaken. After the Armistice, graves were concentrated into the cemetery from the battlefields North and North-East of Kemmel. There are now over 750, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly a quarter are unidentified and two of the soldiers from the United Kingdom are commemorated on special headstones, as their graves were destroyed in the course of fighting. The cemetery covers an area of 5,172 square metres and is enclosed by a curb.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 547
- Canada: 197
- Australia: 7
- Total Commonwealth: 751