Gunners Farm Cemetery took its name from a farm which stood on the opposite side of the road and is an example of a regimental cemetery, many of which were made in 1914 and 1915. The cemetery was begun in July 1915 by the 9th Essex and 7th Suffolk Regiments (Rows A to C), carried on by the 9th Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and the 11th Lancashire Fusiliers (Rows D to J), and the 9th (Scottish) Division (Rows J to Q).
Apart from a small number of later burials, the cemetery was completed by service battalions of the Royal West Kent and Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiments in May and June 1916. It was in German hands from 10 April to 29 September 1918. There are now 175 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and four German war graves in the cemetery. The cemetery was designed by G H Goldsmith.