Lancashire Cottage Cemetery was begun by the 1st East Lancashire (who have 84 graves in it) and the 1st Hampshire (who have 56) in November 1914. It was used as a front line cemetery until March 1916 and occasionally later. The cemetery was in German hands from 10 April to 29 September 1918 and they made a few burials in it during that spring and summer.
The cemetery contains 256 Commonwealth burials of the First World War. There are also 13 German war graves. The cemetery was designed by Charles Holden.