The commune of Ploegsteert, which contains a large number of British War Cemeteries, remained in British hands during the greater part of the War, but it and the cemeteries were in German possession from the 10th April to the 29th September 1918. The cemetery stands behind a rebuilt farm house where an Aid Post existed in the War. It was begun in December 1914 and carried on by Field Ambulances and fighting units until March 1918.
There are now over 300, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified and a special memorial is erected to one soldier from the United Kingdom who is known to be buried among them. The Cemetery covers an area of 1,872 square metres and is enclosed by low red brick walls.