Strand Military Cemetery
  • Special Memorials 1 'Known to be buried in this cemetery' en 4 'Believed to be buried in this cemetery'
  • Kipling Stone (11 soldiers)
Practical info
Strand Military Cemetery is 13 Km south of Ieper town centre, on the Rijselseweg N365, which connects Ieper to Wijtschate, Mesen and on to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg. The cemetery lies on the N365, 4 Km beyond Mesen and immediately before the village of Ploegsteert on the left hand side of the road.
Ploegsteert, Komen-Waasten
Ground - aerial
To the North of Ploegsteert, on either side of the road to Messines, is Ploegsteert Wood; and on the right of that road, is a place called by the Army Charing Cross, at the end of a trench, called the Strand, which led into the Wood. Two burials were made at this place, close to an Advanced Dressing Station, in October, 1914. The cemetery was not used between October, 1914 and April, 1917, but in April-July, 1917 Plots I to VI were completed. Plots VII to X were made after the Armistice, by the concentration of graves from certain small cemeteries and from the battlefields of 1914-1918 lying (mainly) between Wytschaete and Armentieres. The cemetery was in German hands for a few months in 1918, but was very little used by the enemy. There are now over 1,000, 1914-18 and a small number of 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly a third from the 1914-18 War are unidentified and special memorials are erected to four soldiers from Australia and one from New Zealand, known or believed to be buried among them. Certain graves in Plots VII and X, identified collectively but not individually, are marked by headstones bearing the words "Buried near this spot." Other special memorials record the names of 13 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from New Zealand whose graves, in four cemeteries now concentrated, were destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery covers an area of 4,562 square metres and is enclosed on its road side by a stone rubble wall, and on its other sides by a curb.

Of the burial grounds concentrated into Strand Military Cemetery:
  • EPINETTE ROAD CEMETERY, HOUPLINES (Nord), on the Southern outskirts of Houplines village, contained the graves of 24 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in November, 1914-September, 1915.
  • LA BASSE-VILLE GERMAN CEMETERY, WARNETON (West Flanders), on the road from La Basse-Ville to Warneton, contained the graves of 68 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from South Africa who died in German hands, April-August, 1918.
  • LE BIZET CONVENT MILITARY CEMETERY, PLOEGSTEERT, was in the grounds of the Assumptionist Convent between Le Bizet and Motor Car Corner. It contained the graves of 88 soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Canada who fell in October, 1914-October, 1916. NACHTEGAAL NO. 1
  • GERMAN CEMETERY, MERCKEM (West Flanders), midway between Merckem and Houthulst, made in April, 1916, contained the graves of two R.F.C. officers who fell in June, 1917. It was closed in July, 1917.
  • PLOEGSTEERT WOOD NEW CEMETERY, WARNETON, in the South-East corner of the wood, contained the graves of 19 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in the loss and recapture of Le Gheer, October, 1914.
  • PROWSE POINT LOWER CEMETERY, WARNETON, was a little North of Ploegsteert Wood. It was made by the 1st Rifle Brigade, and it contained the graves of 13 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in 1915 and 1916.
  • TOUQUET-BERTHE GERMAN CEMETERY, PLOEGSTEERT, on the road from Ploegsteert to Le Gheer, contained two unidentified R.A.F. graves of July, 1918. WARNETON CHURCHYARD was destroyed in the War. It contained the grave of one soldier from the United Kingdom, buried by the Germans in December, 1914.