This cemetery occupies a site at a road junction where three batteries of Belgian artillery were positioned in 1915. The cemetery was begun by the 8th Division in June 1917 after the Battle of Messines (although one grave predates this) and it was used until October 1918, largely for burials from a dressing station in a cottage near by. Almost half of the graves are of casualties who belonged, or were attached, to artillery units.
There are now 573 First World War casualties buried or commemorated in this cemetery. Seven of the burials are unidentified and special memorials commemorate three casualties known to have been buried in the cemetery, but whose graves could not be located. The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.
Burials (Commonwealth War Graves Commission):
- United Kingdom: 431
- Canada: 7
- Australia: 125
- New Zealand: 8
- Undivided India: 2
- Total Commonwealth: 573