The spacious hopstore adjacent to the garden of Talbot House belonged to Talbot House before and during the War.
It was 'rescued' by Tubby Clayton on December 3rd in 1916. It was first intended to hold services for large congregations, as the Upper Room had become too small.
When Talbot House reached its zenith in 1917, this building became the centre of a whole range of recreational activities: educational classes, lectures, cinema, chess tournaments, whist drives, concerts, debates, cabaret, parties for the Poperinge children, etc. Also comedians, elocutionists, conjurers and illusionists performed at the Concert Hall. Talbot House even had its own orchestra and dramatic party, led by an 'artistic director'.
On April 19th, 1918 the building was hit by a shell, but within a quarter of an hour some imperturbable spirits were playing billiards again.Tubby
(Info: Website Talbot House)