The 'Slessorium', the bathhouse was named after Major Paul Slessor, who acted on behalf of Lord Wakefield of Hythe when in 1929 he purchased the house and on 27 October 1930 donated it to the Talbot House Association.
Slessor was also to prove a key figure in the refurbishments of the house. He planned its funishings in every part. Until his death in 1949 Slessor maintained the house with unceasing care.
The bathhouse built in 1931, "came out a good deal bigger than in the mind's eye. The secret may be divulged that the continental use of metres versus the British one of feet caused some confusion to a committee studying the architect's plan in London."